openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Seidel <matthias.sei...@hamburg.de>
Subject Re: MSVC Update
Date Sat, 13 Oct 2018 10:31:39 GMT
Hello George,

Am 10.10.2018 um 13:23 schrieb George Karalis:
> Hello,
>
> This is an update of the current MSVC task. So far I had success in integrating MSVC
2015
> to the project but it requires Windows SDK 8.1 or higher in order to work correctly.
I ‘ve
> found that Microsoft has reworked the folder structure of this SDK so it requires additional

> work to be done in the configure.ac, in order to find the correct compilers and tools.
Same
> thing at the Windows 10 SDK, which has a more different structure.

Thank you for your work!
Windows is the main platform for our users with about 85% of downloads.
Still is has been a bit neglected...
A newer SDK/compiler will certainly help us on our way to a 64-bit version.

> Another thing that requires additional work is the integration of MSVC 2017. I was able
> find the installation from the registry, using oowintool, copy the required dll etc.,
but in Visual
> Studio 2017 the folder structure is completely different, so changes are also needed
at
> configure.ac, for —with-cl-home to work correctly.
>
> So that leaves me with the following notes:
>
> (1) Integrate MSVC 2010 with Windows 7.1 SDK, both are available from Microsoft, no
>      additional work is needed at the configure level, and update the project to MSBuild

>      (Easy)

This is the SDK we are talking about?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279

As a non developer I would say this should be our first step.

> (2) Integrate MSVC 2017 with Windows 10 SDK, requires more work, but it ’s the main
>      goal.
>
> I ‘m thinking of doing an incremental integration. Work on option (1) and after a successful
build
> continue to option (2). Option (1) also provides support for Windows XP, so we could
stick at
> that for a while. After (1) is complete I presume that building to a new compiler and
SDK, will
> be easier, since the project will have already changed to MSBuild.

Sounds like a plan to me.
And I also think it would be good if we can support XP for some
additional time.

Regards,
   Matthias