openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From George Karalis <thorb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Other build ideas (was: Re: Windows Build Environment futures
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2018 18:45:39 GMT

Hello everyone,

Since am new to the project and working on understanding the build process this past
week, I agree with Damjan that the build system needs that overhaul. I also agree that
a MSVC upgrade and a 64-bit windows build, is of high priority. Changing the build
system will take months.

As of the MSVC upgrade I have figured out how the whole configure works and I ‘m
now integrating MSVC++ 14.15 to oowintool script, and trying to integrate Windows 10
SDK to the configure pipeline as well. After that I 'll try to figure out the build errors
and
fix everything to a successful build. If and when the upgrade completes, we should also
investigate implementing targets - if there are none - for the build tool.

e.g. To compile for windows XP, we need the Windows XP platform toolset, which installs
Windows 7.1 SDK, among other things and can build for Windows XP using MSCV++
2017 and run something like: build —all —target=“winXP”.

Since I am unfamiliar with UNO, I can’t provide any points there, but I agree with that
separation of concerns, to keep only office functionality at the core of the project. Also
another future idea would be to split - I don’t know if it's possible - each application,
Writer, Calc, Impress etc. in its own separate module, so they can build independently
and, maybe?, debug easier, since someone can work on features on only the app he/she
wants.

As for the build system, after some research, I concluded on three modern build pipelines,
CMake, SCons and Meson. Personally, I am in favour of CMake, with the only argument
that it’s backed by many large companies and that provides a safety for the future. The
two
systems are almost identical, SCons is more extensible due to Python, but all in all
it’s just a weight of each build system's pros and cons. Also, how KDE switched  <https://lwn.net/Articles/188693/>
to CMake <https://lwn.net/Articles/188693/> was an interesting read. But, I think Damjan
knows better about the project, so
we can have an open discussion about which build system is better for OpenOffice.

I think that for now we should focus on upgrading our tools, new compilers, SDKs, because
it's easier, it has been a week and I have done some progress already, and it will ease
development a little, but ultimately changing to a modern build system can have tremendous

potential for the project, modern build systems integrate perfect with Visual Studio,
Xcode, working on an IDE it’s always nice 🙂.

Kind regards,
George