openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [discussion] unmaintained and unsupported Apache CMS
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2018 16:58:43 GMT
Hi -

> On Oct 9, 2018, at 9:44 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Peter Kovacs wrote:
>> Well it turns out the Apache CMS system we use for our download side is unmaintained
and unsupported. ...
>> It is something we should address mid term.
>
> For the main openoffice.org site we could simply go back to static HTML (plus SSI for
the limited usage we are making of it now) and edit HTML pages directly: i.e., we store in
SVN the result of the CMS processing. We wouldn't lose much, since I think most people edit
HTML anyway when editing the site.

We currently store the original HTML from the Oracle OpenOffice.org and perform a pattern
match and rewrite to switch to the Apache OpenOffice css and scripts. In a migration we would
simply store the results of the svn to create the new HTML with the SSI. I agree with your
proposal.

The more difficult layer is the creation of those SSI which mostly use branding mdtext that
is really just header arguments. I suppose we could replace the structure somehow with a big
JSON file (or one for each language/section) and then script that part to create the SSI.

Keep in mind that the site is some 9-10 GB. I built this structure initially and would be
willing to play with it. Due to the size I would suggest keeping it in SVN to allow any language
community to only have to deal with their part. I am loathe to create 100 Git Repositories.

Let’s start this after we finish moving Forum and Wiki VMs.

> For openoffice.apache.org we have everything in markdown and we could either keep the
markdown and use a different tool, or, again, convert to HTML and keep the converted copy,
but in this case we would have a maintainability loss.

I think that some of the suggestions made by Infra would work here. Many projects have a GitHub
repository and are updated via pull requests.

If we have a volunteer here then this is where we start.

Regards,
Dave