openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject FOSDEM 2019: no Open Document Editors devroom?
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:04:15 GMT
While I haven't received any feedback from FOSDEM organizers yet (the
two contact addresses I had given were mine and Peter's), I am not
seeing the Open Document Editors devroom listed at
https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/

This is just to confirm that I did send a request, a couple days before
the deadline, exactly the same way it has worked in the past years.
Usually a similar request was sent by another project and the requests
were merged by organizers to create a shared "Open Document Editors"
devroom.

If organizers have decided not to host an "Open Document Editors"
devroom this year, we should just respect them; they need to rotate
projects, so after a few years in a row it is understandable if they
decided to pick other types of software. I'm not into political games
and I'm uninterested in discussing why (so far at least) FOSDEM decided
that OpenOffice and similar software should not get a devroom this year.

If I get some official acceptance/rejection notice I will of course
inform the list.

Here's the receipt of the application I sent last month, very similar to
those from previous years that you can find in the list archives.
   ---
Acknowledging your devroom request (Apache OpenOffice [or: joint "ODF
Editors" devroom])
Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:51:51 +0000

Devroom Request for FOSDEM 2019

We acknowledge that we have received your request for the following devroom.
After we review all devroom requests, we will inform you accordingly via
email.

Title: Apache OpenOffice [or: joint "ODF Editors" devroom]
Coordinator: Andrea Pescetti
Coordinator email: pescetti@...
Secondary contact: Peter Kovacs
Secondary email: petko@...

Apache OpenOffice, formerly known as OpenOffice.org, is one of the most
popular Free and Open Source software projects. A Top Level Project at
the Apache Software Foundation since October 2012, OpenOffice has more
than 250 million downloads as an official Apache project. The next
version, OpenOffice 4.1.6, is scheduled for release in October 2018.

Note: A joint "ODF editors" devroom like the one organized at FOSDEM
since 2014 would allow a productive exchange of ideas with other Free
and Open Source editors using OpenDocument as their native format.

As for OpenOffice, topics that may be interesting for FOSDEM 2019
include: modernization of the reference baseline; improvements to the
localization process; tools to assist release management; build
technologies.

Coordinator's affinity to the topic of the devroom:
Andrea, who is sending the application on behalf of the OpenOffice PMC,
served as Chair of the OpenOffice Project Management Committee
(2012-2014) and was the Release Manager of OpenOffice 4.1.2 in 2015.

Why does it fit FOSDEM
An Apache OpenOffice devroom would allow existing volunteers to meet and
discuss future developments, and users and potential new volunteers to
learn how they can help the project, thanks to presentations and hacking
sessions spanning a broad range of topics.

Relevant URLs:
The main project URL is http://www.openoffice.org/

Timeslot:
Full day