openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From George Karalis <thorb...@gmail.com>
Subject MSVC Update
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2018 11:23:40 GMT
Hello,

This is an update of the current MSVC task. So far I had success in integrating MSVC 2015
to the project but it requires Windows SDK 8.1 or higher in order to work correctly. I ‘ve

found that Microsoft has reworked the folder structure of this SDK so it requires additional

work to be done in the configure.ac, in order to find the correct compilers and tools. Same

thing at the Windows 10 SDK, which has a more different structure.

Another thing that requires additional work is the integration of MSVC 2017. I was able to
find the installation from the registry, using oowintool, copy the required dll etc., but
in Visual
Studio 2017 the folder structure is completely different, so changes are also needed at
configure.ac, for —with-cl-home to work correctly.

So that leaves me with the following notes:

(1) Integrate MSVC 2010 with Windows 7.1 SDK, both are available from Microsoft, no
     additional work is needed at the configure level, and update the project to MSBuild
     (Easy)

(2) Integrate MSVC 2017 with Windows 10 SDK, requires more work, but it ’s the main
     goal.

I ‘m thinking of doing an incremental integration. Work on option (1) and after a successful
build
continue to option (2). Option (1) also provides support for Windows XP, so we could stick
at
that for a while. After (1) is complete I presume that building to a new compiler and SDK,
will
be easier, since the project will have already changed to MSBuild.

What are your thoughts and suggestions about this matter?

Kind regards,
George