openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: A more sane way to build - SCons, deCygwination and other hopes
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2017 22:22:01 GMT
Am 02.12.2017 um 23:13 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Dec 2, 2017, at 1:59 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <damjan@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Playing devils advocate, does it make sense to introduce
>>> Yet Another Build System at this stage?
>>>

>> I anticipated this question.
>
> :)
>

>> Secondly SCons can replace ./configure, so in all all-SCons world we would
>> eliminate 3 tools, not just 2.
>
> ./configure seems to work fine.
>

>> * Nobody knows gbuild.
>
> And more people know SCons?? :)
>
> My point is that likely more people know make and gmake
> and its obscure features than SCons.
>
> What I don't want is some hybrid monstrosity like we
> have now. Nor do I want work on the build system to hold
> off release of 4.2.0.

relating to the last sentence:
For this there is the fantastic invention of branches. ;-)

OK, seriously:
At the moment we are talking more about a 4.2.0 release than all other
posts in the past together. Therefore we should think of when the best
time point is for creating a new 4.2.0 branch. IMHO it is coming really
closer.

Then we can go on on Trunk with improving the build system without any
effects for 4.2.0.

My 2ct.

Marcus