openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Spell checking in French
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2017 10:24:14 GMT
Am 17.12.2017 um 22:30 schrieb Pedro Lino:

> Actually the fastest way to add a dictionary should be clicking on
> Tools, Languages, More Dictionaries Online
>
> More Dictionaries Online should point to a user friendly page like
> Mozilla's
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/

in general yes. However, when you compare it with our download webpage
you will see that we have left the big link table behind us. Actually I
don't want to come back to this time.

> The problem is that the menu item launches a weblink to
> https://extensions.openoffice.org/dictionaries?lang=en-US (where
> lang=value depends on the AOO interface language) which is then
> translated to
> https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/search?f%5B0%5D=field_project_tags%3A157
> (the same as clicking on the Dictionaries button on the Extensions website)

The same idea is used to pre-select the install files on our download
webpage. I don't see this as a problem.

Of course you need the chance to change the pre-selected language.
Otherwise you are stick with one language and this is indeed not a good way.

> However searching for the words spelling or dictionaries returns many
> more results than the Dictionaries button (for instance none of the
> Portuguese tools show up when clicking Dictionaries)
> This means that the search key is not working as expected (maybe not all
> extensions have the needed tag?)
>
> Should I open a Bugzilla issue about this?

Is this something you would see improved in OpenOffice? If not, I think
we don't need a BZ issue as we can discuss / work on this topic also here.

> P.S. I can volunteer to kick off a similar list of the available AOO
> languages (and links to the extensions) if the devs agree that it makes
> sense to link to such a page.

As said: in general yes. But I don't want to see a loooong list of
links. We have 41 languages for the UI but there are much more languages
possible for spell check.

When we use the same principle from the download webpage also here -
that means: choose the language and then get the click-able link. What
do you/others think?

Please don't get me wrong. I support your idea to improve the way to
download dictionaries - as these are the most used extensions. Let's see
if there is a more user-friendly way to get the wanted dic.

My 2 ct.

Marcus