openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Public Beta for 4.2
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2017 13:13:20 GMT
I see that Pat has committed the security patches to trunk, which is fantastic!
Maybe we should take the next few business days and go thru Bugz
and see what, if anything, would be low-risk patches to trunk and
pencil in, say, Dec 7th as a "code freeze" date for builds...

I can provide builds for all 4 platforms.

> On Dec 1, 2017, at 1:34 AM, Mechtilde <ooo@mechtilde.de> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> I like this idea, too. it makes it visible that we aren't dead.
>
> Regards
>
> Mechtilde
>
> Am 01.12.2017 um 03:41 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> I like it. I already have Linux, Windows and macOS 4.2.0-dev builds available
>> (http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/ <http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/>)
for some langs

a lot of people doing more than simple QA what does the team think about releasing a Public
Beta for 4.2.0? I think that this would be an advantage for the project and might serve to
bring in more of the community as QA volunteers.

>>> I thought it's without discussion that we need a (long) beta test phase for 4.2.0.
So, yes for your proposal.

>>> We can create a new entry on the download webpage, some advertising areas on
the other webpages, and other fine things to make it visible.

>>> And - also this should be clear already - we need several builds of 4.2.0 with
further included bugfixes; to show an increasing quality towards the final release build.

>>> For me the real question is " *When* do we start the beta? ". ;-) I would like
to have a specific level of quality that we give to our users. Otherwise we will get spammed
by bug reports which nobody wants to handle.