openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Why is unwinreg.dll not downloaded automatic
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2017 18:02:14 GMT
> On 24/07/2017 Marcus wrote:
>> Am 21.07.2017 um 02:38 schrieb Raphael Bircher:
>>> If you forget unwinreg.dll, you get a message, with a wget and a
>>> download link. Why we don't donload this directly.
>>
>> good question. Maybe some devs can help here. Is it possible to
>> integrate this into the build system or are there reasons not to do so?
>
> The explicit URL was added by me since it was cumbersome to open
> http://www.openoffice.org/tools/unowinreg_prebuild/680/ and downloading
> the library manually.

I've seen that it is part of the build script
("build_aoo64bit_on_centos5.sh", the 2nd IF clause from top). Do you
mean this?

> I'm not a big fan of downloading stuff without an explicit action from
> the user/developer: the bootstrap phase works well in this respect,
> since the user/developer know he is downloading external files. This is
> the reason for us not to do an automatic download, besides the fact that
> we can't rely on wget being available (but we could rely on other tools
> like the bootstrap script does).

Sure we can rely on wget. If it's not avialable then building is not
possible. We have so many build dependencies and wget is totally common
tool. So, at the end it doesn't matter.

At least I don't see a problem with this doing.

But ...

> So if we can add it to the bootstrap phase, instead of turning the error
> message into a forced automatic download, it would be best.

... moving into bootstrap would be indeed better.

Marcus