openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: procedure for going from RC to release
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2016 18:27:18 GMT
On 04/03/2016 11:49 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 03/04/2016 Marcus wrote:
>> Am 04/03/2016 03:34 PM, schrieb Carl Marcum:
>>> Are the artifacts and signatures copied to new names or recreated
>>> and signed?
>
> They are moved, using svn move.
>
>> If it's for the NetBeans plugin you can look at the name structure above
>> for the AOO files. Maybe it's possible to adopt it completely or do some
>> changes where it makes sense.
>
> For the "real" OpenOffice release there is nothing to discuss. Files
> are uploaded to the staging area and from there to dist.
>
> For this "extra" Netbeans plugin release (in the meantime I have taken
> a look at the sources and I found it is much more complex than what I
> thought, so it's reasonable to attempt a proper release) I suggest
> that we add one source-only file to the existing folders.
>
> Specifically (this is extremely important so please ask again for any
> doubts, or you will break a lot of technical assumptions):
>
> 1) You upload the RC (one source file, with hashes/signatures) in a
> new subdirectory of https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/
> (say,
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/netbeans-plugin-412-RC1-r1800000
> ); and you call the file something like
> netbeans-plugin-r1800000.tar.gz, reflecting the SVN revision it comes
> from.
>
> 2) After a successful vote, the one file you placed there (accompanied
> by its hashes/signatures) is moved (using svn move) to dist. The
> target directory to use is this one:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.2/source/ ;
> please do not create anything else, the plugin sources will live in
> the source directory of the matching (or closest in time) OpenOffice
> release.
>
> As discussed, binaries for the Netbeans plugin are not released on the
> ASF infrastructure, so after approval you are free to build and sign
> them according to the rules needed on NetBeans.org; and no copy of
> them will be preserved on dist.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the very detailed answer.

I was looking at how some other projects handled "extras" things like this.

I found Maven uses sub-folders under release/maven for plugins,
plugin-tools, etc, that don't go into their main release folder. [1].
Their plugins are source only because they are distributed via Maven Repos.

Should we use something like a devtools subfolder under
release/openoffice so they don't have to be redone for each maintenance
release of AOO or end up with multiples in each  AOO release? Something
like :

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/devtools/

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/maven/plugins/

Thanks,