openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Br P <bgp...@gmail.com>
Subject Problems Downloading Ver 4.1.0
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 04:27:27 GMT
I attempted to download the latest Apache Version but had difficulty
getting the down load to complete.

I was then directed to REGSERVO Website to download a program to " FIX A
MISSING .dll"....the page heading was EASY TOOLKIT but I have seen this
sort of request where they get you to SCAN NOW which brings up a heap of
files that look dangerous which puts people into a paniv.....then tell you
to FIX NOW which leads you to have them pay a fee so they can get into your
computer to solve a so-called "problem".

I am very suspicious these days about allowing anyone into my computer or
sending me repair instructions as I do not know what damage they can do to
my computer.

If there was a problem with the ".dll" missing, I would have thought that
Apache would handle such a problem for their user themselves - not have
users giving names, email, credit card details, possible access to their
computer or dodgy downloads that are supposed to solve the problem.....but
what else could it do to the users computer!!!!

Is this a problem or is this McAfee REGSERVO another attempt by another
party to get you onto a treadmill of charges for so cll "problems" in the
users computer.

My laptop is only about 8mths old, I have a good quality security installed
and I am the only user so I try to avoid all possibilities of anything
being downloaded or unknown people have access to my computer....this
request sounded strange to me.

Hoping you can let me know what Apcahe knows of this request so I can be
assured I am not going to cause problems for myself down the track.

Thanking you,

Brian
--
Brian Pollard