openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code snippets from oooforum in AOO website?
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:39:12 GMT
jan i wrote:
> Just because the dns name expires the site remains active, adressable by ip
> addr.

It's on shared hosting so one would still have to associate it to
207.7.148.2 in the hosts file or such, but indeed you make an important
point; oooforum.org is three things: a domain, a website and content. As
discussed earlier, the cleanest way to get the content is to get
everything transferred to Apache, since that way we can avoid legal
complexities. And indeed the site hosting can expire before or after the
domain, so we have no clear deadline.

> Getting a domain transferred needs a signature from the current domain
> owner, whereas we can sign up for it now, and when it becomes available in
> 5 month we automatically get it.

I personally try to stay out of the domain
squatting/reselling/pre-booking business since it's rather unclear to me
in general. But here the issue is that indeed this transfer would
concern only the oooforum.org domain name, no site and no content. So
the best that could come from that is that we simply redirect
oooforum.org to our official forum. But I believe that users are mostly
concerned with saving the content in some form, so getting oooforum.org
this way would not help with users' concerns.

Regards,
   Andrea.