openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Portuguese download broken
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:05:39 GMT
Am 06/19/2014 12:27 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 06/11/2014 10:51 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>>>
>>> This will cause some caching issues (for those who have already used the
>>> new download page) but indeed it seems not so bad.
>>
>> caching issues shouldn't be a problem. Just reload the browser window.
>> Furthermore, the website will browsed again and again in case of new
>> download wishes.

>>> OK, unless you wish to rename the old ones (to download_old.js and such)
>>> if this is still easy, since we may want to actually get rid of the old
>>> mechanism in favor of the new one.
>>
>> It is more effort the other way around as I would need to change every
>> localized download webpage. Of course this is also a possible way. We
>> just need to agree what we want.

>>> For my commits, this means reverting
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1601211
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1601213
>>> Of course, feel free to revert both when replacing them with a better
>>> solution.

>>> Could we go back to the old behavior (whatever the file names) but then
>>> try and encapsulate all logic differently?
>>
>> OK but ...
>>
>>> The most difficult part is that one just wants to localize the page, but
>>> still there's a lot of JavaScript around. From a maintenance point of
>>
>> ... this is a totally different topic. ;-)
>>
>>> view, I would prefer to have a "createDownloadDiv(var strings)" function
>>> that takes an array of all strings needed to build the localized div and
>>> returns the div markup. This would simplify a translator's work, since
>>> they would only have to translate a long but understandable function
>>> call. If this is unclear I can make an example. And this would also
>>> guarantee that we can adjust it more easily.
>

> After spending a while looking at approach more in depth, I agree with
> Andrea here in terms of trying to set this up as simpler js calls
> somehow. Conceptually, what's there now (in
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/) provides the utmost in
> flexibility, but it comes at the cost of complexity. And, since we have
> roughly 35 native language download areas that need attention, I think
> we need to look to simplicity to expedite the situation.

I've looked again to Andrea's idea to outsource the JS creation of the
green box into a separate file and think now it's great with regard to
other NL webpages. Then only one file needs to be changed and it will
work for all - for all that have included the JS function call.

So, this is already implemented even when I've not stated separatelly.
;-) Please check:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
http://www.openoffice.org/download/boxed_download.js

> I think the "tips" strings could match the actual parameter strings,
> thus eliminating some redundancy there. I'm not sure we need "tips" for
> the selection box items of OS etc, so maybe more eliminations here.

Of course they are not the most important part. However, I don't think
it would reduce any complexity. Furthermore, it has an advantage for
disabled  people and it's best pratice to describe what the user could
expect.

> The same approach as suggested by Andrea could be used for the blue boxes.

Sure, even this could be outsourced into the separate file. However,
here I don't see the use case for it. The purpose is very limited and
the links are relatively set in stone. It's very unlikely that they will
change.

But of course maybe you (or anybody else) can tell me better. :-)

> And, I think the right side of the page -- the additional items should
> be just be left intact as a block and let volunteers translate/change
> this as they see fit rather than construct it with javascript.

This increases the complexity for the translators. For the colored boxes
they have to translate just a JS file that contains all strings. But for
the nav bar it's needed to translate the content directly in the HTML
file? Hm.

> Thoughts?

I don't want to sound too negative. Much is possible but first we need a
clear strategy. So let's discuss. :-)

Marcus