openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: News about the new OOXML framework.
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:41:02 GMT
On 03/06/14 13:20, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are you aware of Apache POI?
>
> Reads and writes most Ooxml in Java.

yes, we know POI and Andrea pointed already on thread where this was
discussed.

When you look in the details Java is used for the SchemaParser and later
on to generate a C++ parser. No plans to use Java during runtime in the
office to parse OOXML. But Java is perfect and productive for the
development of the tooling etc.

Juergen

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Apache POI and OpenOffice PMCs
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 3, 2014, at 3:41 AM, Andre Fischer <awf.aoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to give a short status update about the new OOXML framework.
>>
>> - Created the new module main/ooxml
>>  There are not yet any makefiles that build the contents of the ooxml/ module nor
link it into the build process of OpenOffice. However, you can use e.g. Eclipse to import
the Java projects that are described below.

>> - Moved the old Office Open XML wiki pages out of the way and create two new ones:
>>  = "OfficeOpenXML" contains an introduction into the OOXML file format, a status
overview of the implementation progress and links to more detailed information.
>>  = "OOXML" and "ooxml" (uppercase/lowercase) redirect to "OfficeOpenXML" so that
there is no excuse to not find this page.
>>  = "OOXML Framework" contains more detailed information about the new framework.
>>
>> - Created a new Java project at ooxml/main/source/framework/SchemaParser that parses
the XML schema files that come with the ECMA-376 specification files.
>>  Its purpose is to read the schema files and create a skeleton OOXML parser from
it.  This skeleton can then be filled in with code for importing certain elements of OOXML
documents.

>> - Created a new Java project at ooxml/main/source/framework/JavaOOXMLParser.  Its
purpose is testing and debugging of and experimenting with the schema parser.  It is not intended
to become a runtime component of OpenOffice.

>> The SchemaParser is able to parse all files of the ECMA-376 specification both in
the old (1st edition of 2006) and new (4th edition of 2012) versions.  It looks like we need
both since the new one is the current standard (equivalent to the ISO standard) while the
old on is actually used.
>> Not all details of the schema files are handled yet.
>>
>> The JavaOOXMLParser, based on parser tables created by the SchemaParser, is already
able to parse the large DOCX file of the 1st edition specification.  When pretty printed it
is about 90 MB large.  It takes the parser about 90 s to read it.  Note that the parser is
not optimized in any way (if it where then it would be optimized for readability, not for
speed) and that it writes about 650 MB of log files in the process.