openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Language Specific Third Party Pages
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 18:13:30 GMT
On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> To make it official and so that we are all clear.
>
> The following rules apply to links to third party products and related new announcements
only.

> (1) Have a project wide 3rd party page in English.

Which we do.

> (2) Each language community may choose to have a separate 3rd party page. (For example
a Germanophone third party page.)

And such page should contain everything relevant from the English
page.  Relevant means available in the relevant language.  We don't
want to play favorites, where one NL links to PrOOoBox but not
winPenPack, while another does the opposite.

> (3) Each language may choose to maintain their own news feed to make language community
specific announcements.

Yes.

> (4) A news item may link to any 3rd party page in openoffice.org.

Yes.

> (5) 3rd party pages may link to 3rd parties. Who the 3rd party is should be clear on
3rd party page. It should be clear that the 3rd party is not the ASF and is not the Apache
OpenOffice Project.

Not necessarily.  It is case-by-case depending on the 3rd party and
what they are offering.  The usual criteria apply -- Does it use AOO?
Are the respecting trademarks?  Is it good for the ecosystem?  And so
on.

For example, it would not make sense for us to link to a page that has
nothing but advertisements and links back to our download page.  But
given our PageRank, this would be a temptation for some.In the PrOOBox
case specifically, I don't see any issues, but I wouldn't want someone
to read this months from now and take it that it is OK to link to a
website offering downloads of AOO with bundled malware, or that we're
going to do link exchanges with no value added.

(It might be appropriate to link to, from our download page, 3rd party
sites that merely host unmodified versions of AOO, like CNet,
FileHippo, Amazon.com, etc.  But that is a slightly different topiuc)

> Conclusion.
>
> DE page can have news about PrOOo and point to a Germanophone 3rd party page.

In this case, yes.

Regards,

-Rob