openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Next steps for AOO 4.0 Logo Selection
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 14:17:04 GMT
On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> What we've done so far:
>
> 1) Called for logo submissions from the community
>
> 2) Many designers responded and we received 40 submissions.  There was
> a lot of "cross-fertilization" of ideas, as designers saw what others
> had come up with, what worked, and borrowed ideas.
>
> 3) We did a survey of user responses to the 40 logo submissions.  Over
> 5000 users offered their ratings and written comments.
>
> 4) Publish report and blog post on the results of the logo survey.
>
> 5) Invited the designers of the top-rated logos to read over the
> survey comments and refine their designs and submit an updated
> version.
>
> That's where we are now.  The updated logos (three of them) are on the wiki now:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Stage+2+Logo+Refinement
>
> As you can see there is quite a bit of convergence on a design occurring.
>
> So what next?
>
> I'd like to propose some next steps.
>
> A) Let's discuss the three designs on the mailing list for the next
> week.   The discussion might lead to further refinement.
>
> B) If at the end of the week there is consensus on a single design
> we'll go with that one.

One week has passed.  We've had some good discussion, and further
refined one of the logos.  Personally I am seeing convergence of
opinion around one of the logos.   However, some community members
expressed a preference for different logos from the survey (not the
top ones).  One community member (Hagar) suggested not changing the
logo at all, and another one (Graham) wanted to go back to the
OpenOffice.org word mark and logo from OOo 3.3.0.  So I'm not willing
to claim that there is consensus.

Also, my perception is that the discussion is not advancing, and minds
are unlikely to change with further discussion.  So I'll start a
72-hour vote later today.   Since we have more than one option for a
logo, I'll ask PMC members to list their ranked preferences.  The
ballot will be scored via Instant Run-Off  Voting (IRV) rules [1].
I'll include a "don't change the logo" option as well as a position
for a write-in choice.  Everyone will have the opportunity to express
their preference.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

Regards,

-Rob