openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: glosary/terminology files in pootle
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 09:15:36 GMT
On 3 June 2013 22:47, Claudio Filho <filhocf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2013/6/2 janI <jani@apache.org>:
> > On 2 June 2013 15:37, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Adding terminology seems fine, of course. Requiring the review step is
> in
> >> principle OK for me too, but I wonder how it will work for languages
> where
> >> we don't have native speakers as committers: does it require that
> strings
> >> are explicitly marked as reviewed, or is it enough to ask volunteers to
> >> check the warnings generated by Pootle and then send a note to the l10n
> >> list saying that they have considered/ignored warnings appropriately?
> >>

> > Asking volunteers to that would be a significant step in getting better
> > quality.
> >
> > The nice thing about pootle review is that it can be done be everyone. My
> > idea was to say something like "before moving po files back to svn, the
> > committer must run a pootle review, if there are errors/warnings not
> > explained by the translators on the mailing list, the files will not be
> > transferred".  I know it puts a little burden on the person who does the
> > transfer, but similar to receiving a code patch.
>
> I think that we have some mistake about the "review".

One thing is to generate all strings in the source lang, like en_US.
> When you do it, you can give any inconsistent problems, like use
> differents terms in differents parts doing the same thing. IMHO, the
> translation team from Sun did a incredible work about this interchange
> about UI and help contents.

This is a very important part, but not something we can have a program
doing, I think the  only way is having people look at a running AOO.

> Other step is to translate it for many langs, like StarOffice/OOo/AOO.
> A good practice is the use of glossary/terminology, giving to team a
> way to translate in the same way. Is possible to do this work without
> the glossary/terminology, but is possible that you will have a UI/help
> with differents terms for SAME thing, or some thing worse, like
> differents parts of UI with differents strings for the SAME thing.

That was what I thought of.

Providing a glossary is the first step (this can be generated based on
existing translations), having a glossary
also allows us to:
1) ask the translators to use pootle review
2) Check/enforce that the glossary is used, this can be done quite easy by
e.g. genLang.
3) Auto translate new strings (with fuzzy bit on), if in the glossary

> IMO, we are in this edge between the good and acceptable, and now, we
> can start a revision of all work. An example: pivot table, in pt_BR,
> was translated for "Assistente de dados" (data wizard?) instead
> "Tabela dinĂ¢mica". Before, all strings was consistent with the first
> option, that is good, but isn't the good choice of term. Today, (i
> believe that) all UI/help are aligned with the second term, that is
> more appropriate.
>
> When i did the translation, i found some original strings that could
> be written in other way or using other example. So, you can see 2
> review to do: one for original strings and other for evolve the
> translations.

agreed.

> In this time, if we implement the terminology practice, the new
> translations can do first the translation of glossary, and after load
> in pootle and provide for them translators the po file (to offline
> translations), giving a tool for a better and consistent translation.
> Who already did his translation, can review the work, giving a better
> quality for his translated AOO through revising the glossary and
> reflecting this work in the UI/help. Is possible too ignore this
> practice and do it freely. :-)
>
> Anyway, i think/suggest to start the process revision after 4.0[.1?].
> Today, only provide the resource and the use is free to all teams.

Yes, as soon as 4.0 is released, I intent to update genLang and get it
integrated.

> About the Pootle, i can help in admin it, if necessary (backup admin?). ;-)

thx for the offer. Pootle and the vm as such is being adminstrated by
infra, but in my opinion an extra project admin would be nice
@jsc as project admin, what is you view ?

rgds
jan I