openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Language Specific Third Party Pages
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 21:49:22 GMT
On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > To make it official and so that we are all clear.
> >
> > The following rules apply to links to third party products and related
> new announcements only.
> >
> > (1) Have a project wide 3rd party page in English.

+1 on this...I think we're kind of in development with this as a
replacement for the old "sellers.html" page -- the CD page Rob was going to
blog about. It would certainly include many other things.

@Rob, are you referring to porting?

 http://www.openoffice.org/porting/

> > (2) Each language community may choose to have a separate 3rd party
> page. (For example a Germanophone third party page.)
> >

> And such page should contain everything relevant from the English
> page.  Relevant means available in the relevant language.  We don't
> want to play favorites, where one NL links to PrOOoBox but not
> winPenPack, while another does the opposite.

+1

A single listing but in many languages?

> > (3) Each language may choose to maintain their own news feed to make
> language community specific announcements.

+1

> Yes.
>
> > (4) A news item may link to any 3rd party page in openoffice.org.

Yes.

+1

> > (5) 3rd party pages may link to 3rd parties. Who the 3rd party is should
> be clear on 3rd party page. It should be clear that the 3rd party is not
> the ASF and is not the Apache OpenOffice Project.

+1

> Not necessarily.  It is case-by-case depending on the 3rd party and
> what they are offering.  The usual criteria apply -- Does it use AOO?
> Are the respecting trademarks?  Is it good for the ecosystem?  And so
> on.
>
> For example, it would not make sense for us to link to a page that has
> nothing but advertisements and links back to our download page.  But
> given our PageRank, this would be a temptation for some.In the PrOOBox
> case specifically, I don't see any issues, but I wouldn't want someone
> to read this months from now and take it that it is OK to link to a
> website offering downloads of AOO with bundled malware, or that we're
> going to do link exchanges with no value added.
>
> (It might be appropriate to link to, from our download page, 3rd party
> sites that merely host unmodified versions of AOO, like CNet,
> FileHippo, Amazon.com, etc.  But that is a slightly different topiuc)
>
> > Conclusion.
> >
> > DE page can have news about PrOOo and point to a Germanophone 3rd party
> page.
> >

> In this case, yes.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob