openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Junge <peter.ju...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Can somebody please commit the update of the de-websites
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:21:30 GMT
On 6/21/2013 9:59 PM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
>
>>> What is the problem?
>>>

>> The CD is not from the Apache OpenOffice project.  It was not reviewed
>> and approved for release by the project.  It is a 3rd party product.
>> The website says it is from "Verein Freies Office Deutschland e.V..":
>
> No, this is absolutely *not* true!
>
> The "Verein Freies Office Deutschland e.V.." is NOT the creator of the PrOOo-box, but
that's us (Detlef, Jan and I) three members of the AOO-Community in Germany.

> You can see my entry here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Directory+of+Volunteers
>
> and I can gladly Jan and Detlef ask to register there.
>
> The "Verein Freies Office Deutschland e.V. is the *only* one who pays us the hosting
of the Box (850 euros per year).

> *We would be pleased if the Apache paid. Apache wants to do that?*

As far as I understand the Apache way: Apache products must be hosted by
Apache infrastructure(*), but as the PrOOo-Box certainly contains also
non-Apache products it cannot be hosted at Apache. Seems a Catch-22 to
me. Does someone has any good idea how to fix this? It would certainly
be a good thing to continue the PrOOo-Box within the AOO community.

(*) Apache strictly requires to avoid community fragmentation like it
had happened with OOo.

Best regards
Peter

>> But these are still 3rd party distributions.
>
> No, this is the Box of german Members of the AOO-Community!
>

> But that is not the problem, because the question is a Others, namely how we can make
local work on AOO when we can not even provide information users need?

> A notice in a news-teaser is anyway only a temporary entry. What is the problem?
>

> Rob, you have, tell me here on the list, the following:
>
> * it's okay to get involved locally for AOO and Apache welcomes such activities
>
> * I should self make a choice
>

> However, I live in Germany, and here I know the OpenOffice users for more than 8 years,
and I know what users need for assistance.
> And we all have to do something otherwise AOO lost in Germany. Sorry, but that *is* the
truth.

>> So we are fair and we don't give special prominence to any single 3rd
>> party distribution.
>
> But that is *not* what is needed.
>
> There shall be *no* permanent link, but only a *temporary* news-teaser. This teaser is
automatically replaced by someone else, as soon as there are new news.