openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 19:10:39 GMT
Le 18/06/2013 09:26, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :
> On 17/06/2013 Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>> I want to let you know that I am currently working on the migration of
>> AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profiles to AOO 4.0. I am also including the
>> migration of extensions.
>> I am currently not planning to adjust any of the mentioned strings as I
>> think it is too late for its translation.
>
> Is this safe? In a typical scenario, then, a user would have some extensions installed
and he would see them imported in 4.0 without being warned about possible compatibility problems.
Most of the extensions do not have a maxversion indication, so OpenOffice 4.0 will try and
install them anyway, but some might be broken. And then the user is left alone in updating
his extensions (which in theory he should be prompted to do after installation, assuming this
mechanism is restored), but he wouldn't have a way to go back before it's too late.

Even if it's not that safe, since the new user profile will not overwrite the former (it's
a major upgrade), the only risk is that it doesn't work and to reset completely the new profile
(but the former one is untouched and is kept available).

So we should at least try and hope that very few are broken.

Thanks Oliver for your work on the profile migration, it would be a great feature for a smooth
upgrade.

Hagar