openoffice-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From J├╝rgen Schmidt <>
Subject [RELEASE]: proposal for an update of the AOO 4.0 release schedule
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:14:46 GMT

I tried to get an overview where we are with our AOO 4.0 release and I
have thought about an updated release plan. I hope you share my view on
this updated plan and you will continue to help that we can achieve it.

First of all I am still thinking that we should release the 4.0 as soon
as possible and before the majority will take a break and go in summer
holidays. And with a potential second release later this year in mind I
believe July is the best time.

We are a little bit behind my proposed schedule that we can't hold under
the current circumstances. It's ok, we worked hard, did a lot of
testing, work on translation and things moved forward. But when I take a
look on the list of proposed show stoppers and the not yet integrated
help for the sidebar and the translation, I believe we should adapt our
release plan to take the current situation and status into account.

I see the following work items that we have to complete before or in
parallel to the vote of an RC:

- sidebar help
merge the English help file on Pootle and give the translation
volunteers at least the chance to provide a translation. This is not yet
done because the lack of time (I am the bottle neck here and maybe other
volunteers can jin me in the future to work on this).
The sidebar is the most visible improvement in 4.0 and now where we have
a help file, it should be translated if possible

- finish general translation update, means update Pootle with offline
translated strings on demand, merge the localized strings back from
Pootle, run gsi consistency check to find potential problems like
mismatched xml tags. I would like to see some further languages complete
that are very popular, this includes Danish, Sweidish, German.

- continue to review, identify the real show stopper issues. We expect
to come up in the end with a list of 15-20 real show stopper issues

- prepare the update service

- prepare release notes (attractive marketing material that can be
used), with screenshots as many as possible to highlight the features
and bug fixes

- logo integration as first step of an ongoing brand refresh -> depends
on the availability of the logo files

- RAT scan -> have to be checked

- document migration path for incompatible API changes, not migrated

Some of these points have to be finished until the first official
release candidate (RC). Taking all this into account I would like to
propose the following update:

- Wednesday June 19th, update Pootle with sidebar help and provide Po
files for all current languages available on Pootle.

- Monday July 1th, deadline for the localization, it always takes more
time to merge it back and fix potential problems

- Monday July 1th, deadline for logo integration

- Wednesday/Thursday July 3/4th, provide last snapshot build with all
available translations, logo if finished etc.

- create new AOO release branch on Wednesday July 4th after the last

- continue fixing show stopper issues until Friday July 5th on the new
created release branch

- start RC build on Monday July 8th, on new created release branch

- July 9th, provide RC to the community and start voting on July 11th
continue to work and improve build independent work items, like release
notes etc.

- vote should be finished July 4th
final preparation, signing, uploading etc. for the release

- July 16th public release and announcement

Sorry for the longer email but I hope this make sense and we can all
agree on this to achieve our goal and make AOO 4.0 available to the public.

Opinions and discussion should take place on the dev list only please.



PS: I will start to work on the Pootle update.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message