openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2013 07:51:46 GMT
Hi,

On 18.06.2013 09:26, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 17/06/2013 Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>> I want to let you know that I am currently working on the migration of
>> AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profiles to AOO 4.0. I am also including the
>> migration of extensions.
>> I am currently not planning to adjust any of the mentioned strings as I
>> think it is too late for its translation.
>
> Is this safe? In a typical scenario, then, a user would have some
> extensions installed and he would see them imported in 4.0 without being
> warned about possible compatibility problems. Most of the extensions do
> not have a maxversion indication, so OpenOffice 4.0 will try and install
> them anyway, but some might be broken. And then the user is left alone
> in updating his extensions (which in theory he should be prompted to do
> after installation, assuming this mechanism is restored), but he
> wouldn't have a way to go back before it's too late.

I had a close look at the functionality to 'migrate the extensions from
a former user profile' and from my point of view we should give it a try.

The function did the following:
It looks for the extensions which are installed for the user. These are
found in the former user profile. No shared-installed, bundled or
pre-registered extensions are considered. The found user-installed
extensions which are not on the blacklist are installed with the same
mechanism which is used when the users triggers in the installation.
I am activating an user interaction in case that an extension is already
installed - the same user interaction which is used when the user
triggers the installation of an already installed extension.

On the blacklist will be the Presenter Screen and the Presentation
Minimizer as they are now integrated into OpenOffice.

>> If my tests work fine, I will check-in the changes this week. If we will
>> include these changes into our AOO 4.0 release, I will help to update
>> the above wiki page.
>
> Let's keep them documented and see. Remember that we learned so far that
> a random user will manage to reinstall but not to do anything more
> elaborated, so if uninstallation/installation does not bring up a "Do
> you want to reset your profile?" dialog we still have a usability
> problem (which of course is not a regression, it's been there forever).

Agreed.

Best regards, Oliver.