openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Barton ...@tasit.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE][DISCUSS] Logo selection for Apache OpenOffice 4.0
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 17:47:53 GMT
-------- Original Message  --------
From: Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org <dev@openoffice.apache.org>, Dennis
Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 08:45:32 -0400

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think if the "Apache" is made thicker by using Bold and a touch darker grey, it
will work much better, at least as positioned in the Rottensteiner Stage 2 refinement.  It
also gives "Apache" more (symbolic) weight without overpowering the "OpenOffice" part.

>> I agree one wants to use the best of resampled PNG and regenerated SVG at the lower
size.  Also, if the SVG has hints about the visually-intended size (at whatever pixel resolution),
the fonts may be adjusted automatically to avoid excessive thinning at smaller presentation
sizes.  Then there are the tricks needed when rasterization also becomes significant.

> Right.  And I hope that no one thinks that we're voting for pixels
> carved in marble.  We're voting on a design.  I'd expect ordinary
> technical adjustments to be made to suit the scale and medium of a
> particular use.  It should feel the same to a user, of course.  That's
> the advantage of having the vector source to a logo.  With the current
> logo it has been difficult to work with, since we only have the orb as
> a bitmap.
>
> -Rob

Maybe I am missing something here (very possible), but I have the
current logo and a couple of variants in svg format. If required I would
be happy to upload them.

If someone would be kind enough to advise me how to create a public html
page ~bmcs (like https://people.apache.org/~arielch/), I will put all
the OOo & AOO related svg images I have collected there.

Dave

>>  - Dennis
>>
>> I don't have enough personal knowledge about SVG implementations and font hinting
(although Adobe has information about it).  I do know that Knuth had to introduce anomorphic
scaling into his fonts because the smaller ones would become visually too thin at the smaller
point sizes if simply scaled geometrically.  It's a human vision thing.  He was producing
images for production publishing systems and had a luxury of pixels; there was more involved
that nudging pixel alignments.