openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blog about sidebar
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 07:44:58 GMT
On 02.06.2013 17:45, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 31/05/2013 Andre Fischer wrote:
>> I am writing a blog post about the sidebar. Please have a look at [1].
>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=the_sidebar_new_and_improved
>>

> Good to see it coming out at last!

:-)
I know, should have been sooner.  But it appears that I can only either
write a blog post *or* implement a new feature :-(

> All typos have already been reported, I just wonder whether you
> actually meant to say "but the content did already exist" or "but the
> concept did already exist" in the first paragraph.

content

I am trying to elaborate that part of the sidebar is new while another
part is not

I changed
     but the content did already exist
into
     but the content, the panels, did already exist
to make that a little bit more clear.

> In the last paragraph, I would replace
> "OpenOffice is an open source project.  We don't want your money. You
> can help us by telling us what you don't like and what you miss. Share
> your ideas about how to make the sidebar better."
> with something softer (we can use money too!), like
> "OpenOffice is an open source project.  You can contribute with
> monetary donations [link:
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html ] , but you can
> also contribute by telling us what you don't like and what you miss.
> Share your ideas about how to make the sidebar better."
>
> Obviously, "Share your ideas" should tell how to do it. You mean in
> the comments below the post? To ooo-dev? In Bugzilla? Perhaps the
> comments are the best solution, but anything will be OK provided that
> we mention it.

I have changed the very last paragraph into

"Apache OpenOffice is an open source project.  You can help by telling
us what you don't like and what you miss. Share your ideas about how to
make the sidebar better. Write a comment in the comment section below or
subscribe to our development mailing list
<http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html#development-mailing-list-public>
if you are willing to invest a little more time. And we also accept
donation <http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html>s
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html> (not project
specific)."

> In general, I see you adopted a semi-technical approach, where you
> introduce several important issues and discuss development issues too.
> I see room for another post (don't worry, I'm not asking you for it!)
> where we address the final user only, mainly with screenshots that
> expand on your existing remarks on the user interface and show how to
> use the sidebar. And I see room for a third post too, where we explain
> how extensions developers can use the Sidebar... but let's start with
> this post and the other ones will come.

I do not feel able to provide the second blog post but was already
thinking about the third.  I would first start with writing a Wiki page
for sidebar extension developers and then would use a blog post for
announcing/promoting it.

I would like to encourage everybody to write a blog post about the
sidebar.  That is not just "my" feature.

-Andre