openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2013 20:06:01 GMT
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:54:52 +0200
Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:

> Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> >> Do you have one or two C++ extension at hand (except former Presenter Screen
> >> and former Presenation Minizer) for testing?
> > The PDF Import extension: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport
> > MySQL Connector: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql_connector
> > My version of this last one:
> > http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/aoo-my-sdbc/
>
> This deserves some discussion: these two extensions are very popular so
> it would be better to find a solution to this before users ask for
> support in scores.
>
> If I understand correctly, we have now have two problems with these
> extensions:
> 1) License: both extensions have GPL (or similar) dependencies, so they
> cannot be formally released by this Apache project.
> 2) Compatibility: the STLport change makes the latest versions
> incompatible with OpenOffice 4.0.
>
> Can the problem be solved by simply rebuilding the two extensions in the
> new framework? If it isn't too hard, it's better to upload an
> "unofficial" version (meaning: released by individual developers, but
> not officially by the project) to the Extensions site than dealing with
> feature limitations and support requests.
>
> For the time being, I updated
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions/Extensions_and_Apache_OpenOffice_4.0
> with this information.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

For me, the absence of the Presenter Console would be a major barrier to canverting my presentation
laptops to AOO 4.0.  I hope a way, even if not an official release, can be found to make this
available more or less concurrently with the AOO 4.0 release.

If Presentation Minimizer is being rewritten, some thought should be given towards adapting
the code to provide a similar optimisation and reduction process for Writer documents; users
often insert illustrations of considerably too higgh a resolution and size into Writer.  A
minimise process for this application wuld be useful.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>