openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject [DISCUSS] Contributing Existing Works [Was: Re: Can somebody please commit the update of the de-websites]
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 18:01:08 GMT

On Jun 21, 2013, at 7:21 AM, Peter Junge wrote:

> On 6/21/2013 9:59 PM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]

>>> The CD is not from the Apache OpenOffice project.  It was not reviewed
>>> and approved for release by the project.  It is a 3rd party product.
>>> The website says it is from "Verein Freies Office Deutschland e.V..":
>>
>> No, this is absolutely *not* true!
>>
>> The "Verein Freies Office Deutschland e.V.." is NOT the creator of the PrOOo-box,
but that's us (Detlef, Jan and I) three members of the AOO-Community in Germany.

>> You can see my entry here:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Directory+of+Volunteers
>>
>> and I can gladly Jan and Detlef ask to register there.
>>
>> The "Verein Freies Office Deutschland e.V. is the *only* one who pays us the hosting
of the Box (850 euros per year).

>> *We would be pleased if the Apache paid. Apache wants to do that?*
>
> As far as I understand the Apache way: Apache products must be hosted by Apache infrastructure(*),
but as the PrOOo-Box certainly contains also non-Apache products it cannot be hosted at Apache.
Seems a Catch-22 to me. Does someone has any good idea how to fix this? It would certainly
be a good thing to continue the PrOOo-Box within the AOO community.

> (*) Apache strictly requires to avoid community fragmentation like it had happened with
OOo.

I would like to continue this discussion with a different approach. Let's discuss the process
for PrOOo-Box to become part of the Apache OpenOffice product. There are several steps and
it is worth exploring. Of course I must preface this with "I am not a lawyer." The following
would need to be considered:

(1) License / IP Clearance. A review of the non-Apache products included in PrOOo-Box is necessary.
If these are compatible then it is possible to include them in a "release". If not then they
are other considerations which would depend on packaging and all kinds of legal and technical
challenges.

(2) Copyright. If the three of you own the unique aspects then you may need to re-license
these to AL2.0 - the Apache LIcense.

(3) Individual Contributor License Agreements (ICLA) help. If there is a large amount of unique
IP then a Software Grant may be requested.

(4) The AOO PMC would have to accept the donation through a VOTE or LAZY CONSENSUS.

We can all learn something from the PrOOo-box team.

Regards,
Dave

> Best regards
> Peter
>

>>> But these are still 3rd party distributions.
>>
>> No, this is the Box of german Members of the AOO-Community!
>>

>> But that is not the problem, because the question is a Others, namely how we can
make local work on AOO when we can not even provide information users need?

>> A notice in a news-teaser is anyway only a temporary entry. What is the problem?
>>

>> Rob, you have, tell me here on the list, the following:
>>
>> * it's okay to get involved locally for AOO and Apache welcomes such activities
>>
>> * I should self make a choice
>>

>> However, I live in Germany, and here I know the OpenOffice users for more than 8
years, and I know what users need for assistance.
>> And we all have to do something otherwise AOO lost in Germany. Sorry, but that *is*
the truth.

>>> So we are fair and we don't give special prominence to any single 3rd
>>> party distribution.
>>
>> But that is *not* what is needed.
>>
>> There shall be *no* permanent link, but only a *temporary* news-teaser. This teaser
is automatically replaced by someone else, as soon as there are new news.