openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Discuss][Wiki]"Synchronizing" (or not) localized wiki sites [was: Fwd: [UserGuide]My "roadmap"]
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 20:12:59 GMT
@JanI,

Uh oh.

If you don't have explicit agreement from the contributor(s) to a page concerning it being
offered under a different license, either leave the existing license or remove the content.
 Those are the only legally-sanitary options for works still under copyright.

Declaring a work still in copyright to be orphaned does not give you permission to republish
it with a different license.  Copyright doesn't work that way, not merely in the US.

Secondly, the web site and wiki content were not, as far as I know, included in the grant
from Oracle. There has clearly been no objection, the domains were transferred to the ASF,
but technically that does not in any way change the copyright status of any of the content.
 (The source-code grant, by the way, did not transfer any copyright to the ASF.  It simply
provided a license to the ASF that allowed the ASF to publish and make derivatives under its
license.  Copyright in the original content continues to abide with Oracle.)

While casual treatment of this sort of thing succeeds in some situations, here the interests
and concerns of The Apache Software Foundation as a public-interest entity come into play.
 It is expected that folks on Apache projects will play nice with the intellectual property
of others.

In particular,

   2) We are allowed to copy  the pages, with changes, and the new page can be
      under a new license

is not ever automatically true.  If there is already a license, the terms of that license
will determine what is possible with a derivative work ("with changes").  Even copying is
an exclusive right of the copyright holder, so the license matters there too.  In the absence
of a license, (2) is not permitted at all by anyone but the copyright holder or someone authorized
by the copyright holder (i.e., being licensed to do so).

Finally, and most important, making changes does not give anyone different rights to the parts
that survive from the original work.  (Fine points about license conditions apply here, but
one should never assume that a legitimate licensing of a derivative work has any impact on
the IP interests in the surviving content of the original work.)

 - Dennis