openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE][DISCUSS] Logo selection for Apache OpenOffice 4.0
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 01:39:07 GMT
I think if the "Apache" is made thicker by using Bold and a touch darker grey, it will work
much better, at least as positioned in the Rottensteiner Stage 2 refinement.  It also gives
"Apache" more (symbolic) weight without overpowering the "OpenOffice" part.

I agree one wants to use the best of resampled PNG and regenerated SVG at the lower size.
 Also, if the SVG has hints about the visually-intended size (at whatever pixel resolution),
the fonts may be adjusted automatically to avoid excessive thinning at smaller presentation
sizes.  Then there are the tricks needed when rasterization also becomes significant.

 - Dennis

I don't have enough personal knowledge about SVG implementations and font hinting (although
Adobe has information about it).  I do know that Knuth had to introduce anomorphic scaling
into his fonts because the smaller ones would become visually too thin at the smaller point
sizes if simply scaled geometrically.  It's a human vision thing.  He was producing images
for production publishing systems and had a luxury of pixels; there was more involved that
nudging pixel alignments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kay Schenk [mailto:kay.schenk@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 3, 2013 04:54 PM
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE][DISCUSS] Logo selection for Apache OpenOffice 4.0

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> Staring a [VOTE][DISCUSS] thread parallel to the [VOTE] thread.
>
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> .
> .
> .
> >
> > My comments with some very preliminary testing: the VERY LIGHT gray
> > "Apache" in any form doesn't scale well going smaller.  The very thin
> > letters also don't scale well going smaller.
> >

> How did you scale the image?  By resizing the PNG file?  If so that
> probably doesn't give the optimal quality.

yes, this is what I did...

>  If we resize from the SVG
> source, and if the SVG references a vector font with "hinting", then
> it is possible that the text will be clearer at smaller sizes.  In
> theory that should help with the letter scaling.  Not sure about the
> light gray.

Well maybe someone could  resize appropriately. Our current "web" logo is
only 200 x 100. I actually used 300 x ??? (kept the aspect ratio) and
things were not great on any of these with that very light gray
"Apache"...even slightly darker would help I think.

> -Rob

MzK

"You can't believe one thing and do another.
 What you believe and what you do are the same thing."
                             -- Leonard Peltier