openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Hans Zybura" <hzyb...@zybura.com>
Subject RE: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:14:22 GMT
Andrea, first I'd like to thank you for starting this web-page!

OO Developers tend to have a somewhat limited view of the large variety of
scenarios, how , why, and by whom extensions are created and maintained.
Please note that the extension repository, although it is certainly a great
source of extensions, is by far not the only one, even not the most
important one. E.g. commercial extensions are mostly not downloadable via
the extension repository, but the publishers may be advertising their
solution there. But the vast amount of extensions existing will not even be
publicly visible/available, because they are created for companies small and
large, or privately for a friend/oneself.

Therefore I'd like to recommend some additions (sorry for my limited
English):

<start>
For commercial extensions, please contact the publisher for support. In case
an extension is not publicly available, but only used privately or in your
company/institution, please ask either the author of your extension or a
person responsible in your company/institution for help.

Please note: If a certain extension is crucial for your personal or
professional workflow, you should not install AOO 4.0 before having made
sure that this extension will work on AOO 4.0 or that an update of the
extension is available.
</end>

One last time I want to comment on J├╝rgen Schmidt's recommendation to define
a Maxversion. Maybe there are special cases, where this is feasible, e.g. in
a (not to small) company where you are able to guarantee availability of
support at any time. In some very special cases (from my POV) it may even be
vital to do that. So defining a Maxversion may be seen as an important
option at hand.

That does not say that it has to be recommended as best practice or  even
mandatory. The word "deprecated" seems to imply the latter. A commercial
solution simply cannot afford to define a Maxversion, because users would
understand this to be a predetermined breaking point for making more money
only. Customers are very suspicious in this regard because of the ever
shortening life cycle of technical hardware products nowadays.

Or see it this way: For an extension author like me, AOO is functioning
similar to another layer of an operating system. So please ask yourself in
analogy: Would any of the AOO developers want to define for AOO 4.0 a
Maxversion like  <don't run on Windows 9>? I don't think so. And whatever
the reasons may be, the same reasons apply in the reasoning of an extension
developers.

Kind regards, Hans