openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Dürr <...@apache.org>
Subject New branch rejuvenate01
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 18:16:41 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to point to the new branch named "rejuvenate01" for advancing
AOO's platform support. The main focus is the upgrade of our codebase.
E.g. the MacOSX platform support had nearly stagnated since 2007 and
thus even getting the build requirements right on a current Mac was
becoming very very difficult and with the rejuvenation it should not
only work out of the box, but make leaps ahead.

Other platforms will soon benefit from this work too as it will allow us
to use the platform's native STLs. This means that we'll be able to use
the platforms C++ libraries instead of having to provide our own. It
also makes debugging easier because debuggers tend to understand the
native STL containers.

Improved support for other compilers is good because it because the look
from a different angle benefits the code quality. Clang has already
found some interesting bugs.

There are still rough edges in the new branch, especially in the
configure scripts. To build it with XCode4 you currently have to set the
build environment variables CC and CXX manually e.g.
	export CC="`xcrun -f clang` -arch x86_64"
	export CXX="`xcrun -f clang++` -arch x86_64"
then run the configure and the build steps as usual. Please set the
	--without-stlport
to benefit from the libc++ support.

This will get you a 64bit build of AOO for MacOSX. If you don't want to
build it yourself but want to play around with it you could try [1]
   [1] http://people.apache.org/~hdu/AOO_Mac64_rejuv.dmg
Please note that this is only compatible with MacOSX >= 10.7 because
that is the oldest SDK still provided with the latest XCode4.

Other noteworthy things are that the branch still uses wrappers around
the STL to emulate stlport4 and to let the compiler find compatibility
issues. This approach also allows to keep the diff to trunk minimal for
now which makes reviewing easier. Once we decide we can drop these
wrappers then the replacement of all stlport4 includes by their TR1
counterparts (such as boost/tr1 or the powerful libc++ library) will be
mechanical and aided by compiler diagnostics.

Have fun!
Herbert