openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IAccessible2 integration for AOO 4.0
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 23:28:59 GMT
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I think I've expressed my concerns.  I have nothing to add.
>
> One follow-up question though:
>
> Previously you had offered to see if it was possible to get a permission letter from
IBM to ASF allowing the project to adjust headers and notices to have them be under ALv2.

> Is that not going to happen?

The headers are red herring.  Remind yourself of how long it took to
remove the Oracle copyright and the LGPL headers from /trunk.  The SGA
was submitted in June (or was it May?) 2011.  But we didn't get code
checked in until 2011-08-29, right?  And the license header updates
were done over a longer period of time, not completed until
2012-04-30.   Did this prevent anyone from working with the code
before 2012-04-30?  Of course not.  Did anyone raise any concerns?
No.  In fact we did almost the *entire AOO 3.4.0 work* in that time
period.  The headers had to be updated before we could release the
code.  But it did not prevent anyone from working with the code before
the release.

-Rob

>  - Dennis

of base for integration of Symphony features is relevant.

> I am concerned about the Symphony tree being in the public SVN and being an attractive
nuisance.  If it is not going to be morphed into something that can be worked with and integrated
by the community of contributors, I recommend that it be gone.

> (Of course, I can remove it from any working copy that I possess, and I shall do that
in switching to the new repository location.)

>  - Dennis

directly to the SVN and/or via patches and that is the provenance there is.  That should safeguard
the interests of the ASF.

>>   So what is the point of there being a Symphony portion of the SVN tree?

> in.  We had a long discussion about what to do with that code, with
> the two main options being: 1) Make /symphony be the new trunk and
> merge the delta from AOO 3.4 into Symphony, or 2) Keep the current AOO
> trunk and merge selected features from Symphony into the AOO trunk.
> The decision ultimately was to do 2), what we refer to as the "slow
> merge".  Since we took that direction the /symphony tree has not
> undergone development.  Its main value (in retrospect) was to support
> that decision making process.  Of course, if we had decided to take
> the other approach then /symphony would become the new trunk and the
> usual clean up activities would have occurred on the way to releasing
> that trunk.
>
> Remember, IP Cleanup is not just about changing the headers.  It is a
> longer process, culminating in a vote to accept the code base.  Once a
> code base is accepted, we should be releasing it and doing the other
> kinds of maintenance functions -- security patches, etc. -- that a
> responsible PMC does for its releases.  But I see zero volunteers
> stepping forward to maintain a second office suite in this project.
> So it makes no sense to me to spend time on a tree that we're never
> going to release.
>
>>   I now agree with a comment that you made in a previous discussion about this.
I think it should be removed if it is never going to be IP-scrubbed.

> We have another direction in Subversion that is also odd.  It has an
> eclectic set of licenses on its files.  In some cases it includes
> files where we cannot clearly identify the license.  Instead of
> hypotheticals we have actual examples of real 3rd parties wanting to
> reuse the files, but we're not always able to clearly point them to
> the license terms.  We don't even have an SGA for these files.  So
> should we delete this directory as well?  Of course, I speak of our
> website in /ooo-site.  IMHO, it is not a problem so long as we don't
> include it in a release.
>
> -Rob
>
>>  - Dennis

AOO