And probably you have networking problems (maybe something with proxies on your new machine), because when I put this into my browser, a license is downloaded, while in your log file this throws network errors:

http://plugins.netbeans.org/nbpluginportal/files/nbms/licenses/B2B74E56.license

Gj

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 11:53 PM Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:
Probably the problems are related to having NetBeans unzipped in this folder:

"C:\Users\ggreenbe\OneDrive - Visa Inc\Software\netbeans"

Folders with spaces never work well on Windows.

Gj

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 11:47 PM Greenberg, Gary <ggreenbe@visa.com> wrote:

Because there are no installer for NB10, I couldn’t place it anywhere but under my home directory.

So, I created C;\Users\...\Software folder and unpacked archive there.

I certainly do have all privileges in my home directory.

Just few minutes ago NB froze again and I had to kill it through task manager and restart.

New log file doesn’t show any errors. Previous one does show multiple network timeouts from unsuccessful attempts to download plugins.

BTW, can you please post URL for the current plugin portal? I will try to download some outside of IDE.

From: Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 12:04 PM
To: Greenberg, Gary <ggreenbe@visa.com>; NetBeans Mailing List <users@netbeans.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Trying out NB10

 

You keep removing the mailing list from your responses, please don’t, there’s many others who could be helping, but you keep excluding them.

 

Sounds to me like there’s some problem with permissions or the general setup of your new machine, though it’s impossible to know.

 

Maybe attach a log file — just keep the mailing list address in your responses, please.

 

Gj

 

 

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 23:00, Greenberg, Gary <ggreenbe@visa.com> wrote:

Sorry,

This one I am trying on Windows 10. Dell Precision 5520, 8 cores, 32GB RAM

JDK 1.8-202

Regarding refreshing userdir – I started from the brand new machine. It had nothing in it.

I started installing Chrome,  JDK, Postman and Acrobat. Netbeans was the fifth piece of software installed.

Userdir was supposed to be prestine.

 

From: Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 11:52 AM
To: Greenberg, Gary <ggreenbe@visa.com>; NetBeans Mailing List <users@netbeans.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Trying out NB10

 

You claim to be “far from the noob”, yet you had to be told to refresh the userdir and you haven’t provided a description of your environment, e.g., the JDK you’re using. What gives?

 

Gj

 

 

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 22:38, Greenberg, Gary <ggreenbe@visa.com> wrote:

I did delete my userdir and restarted NB.

Authentication request is now gone, but I still can’t change menu fonts.

I tried to set it to size 12, 10 and even 5. No affect whatsoever.

See attached screenshot.

 

From: Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com>
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2019 8:32 PM
To: Greenberg, Gary <ggreenbe@visa.com>
Cc: NetBeans Mailing List <users@netbeans.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Trying out NB10

 

Can you start with a fresh user directory?

 

Thanks,

 

Gj

 

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 04:03, Greenberg, Gary <ggreenbe@visa.com> wrote:

My previous laptop broke, so I got completely new one and trying to build my development environment from scratch.

Instead of NB8.2 which was working for me (with some glitches) for several years I got the latest Netbeans 10 from netbeans.apache.org

First start was unsuccessful. It displayed the start page and froze. Did not respond to anything. I had to kill the process through the task manager.

Second attempt was a bit better. At least it did not freeze. However, all menus were displayed in huge font that occupy half of the screen.

I went to Options->Fonts and Colors and tried to change the font from size 27 to size 12. I was not able to do that as Netbeans popped me “Authentication Required”

window. No idea why it require authentication but I wasn’t able to do it. I tried my login credentials or the one I used to register a while back on netbeans.org but neither worked.

Same thing happened when I tried to change some other settings. Can some kind soul tell me how do I authenticate there.

For the same reason I wasn’t able to download a single plugin. Download failed due to connection problems with plugin portal. When I tried to check proxy settings I got the same

“Authentication Required”.

So far NB10 wasn’t useful for me.

I am far from the noob, only with Netbeans I am working for 20 years (even before Sun Microsystems acquired it), but this release looks half-baked to me.

I do understand that Apache incubation will cause some disturbances, but did not expect so many problems.