netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Bresie <ebre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Compile & Execute Under Early Access JDK 17
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:13:21 GMT
This type of removal is similar to this parent ticket [1] I raised about deprecated/to be remove
APIs, at the time as of Java 11/15 timeframe, and the linked tickets for specific APIs impacted,
with this being in 17 [2] timeframe sounds like more of them

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5349
2. https://download.java.net/java/early_access/jdk17/docs/api/deprecated-list.html

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com (mailto:Ebresie@gmail.com)

> On June 14, 2021 at 3:38:23 PM CDT, Ludovic HOCHET <lhochet@gmail.com (mailto:lhochet@gmail.com)>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've filed [NETBEANS-5775] [1] for that NoSuchMethodError and Jan
> Lahoda is working on a PR to fix it [2].
> I've also filed [NETBEANS-5762] [3] which may be more difficult.
>

> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5775
> [2] https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2993
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5762
>
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 at 18:26, Kenneth Fogel <kfogel@dawsoncollege.qc.ca (mailto:kfogel@dawsoncollege.qc.ca)>
wrote:

> > I have just installed Java 17 ea 26 and then configured NB 12.4 to use 17 as its
version of Java. NetBeans started but was unable to successfully create either a maven or
ant project. Code could be compiled and built but the class with main could not be found.
It alsdo did not automatically load the Java SE plugin, I had to do that manually. The messages.log
reports:

> > SEVERE [org.openide.util.Exceptions]
> > java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'void com.sun.tools.javac.util.Log.<init>(com.sun.tools.javac.util.Context,
java.io.PrintWriter, java.io.PrintWriter, java.io.PrintWriter)'
> > as the most common exception.
> >
> > This seems to always occur for any issue such as errors parsing my HelloWorld.
> >
> > There is more I can report on. Compiling under 17 might give us a better result.
> >
> > For the moment NetBeans 12.4 is unusable on Java 17 ea 26 running on Windows 10.0.19042.1052.
Switched back to JDK-16.0.1.0-hotspot and code could be run.

> > What the Quality Outreach group wants to know is if we are testing our project under
EA builds of JDK 17 and if it works.

> > Ken

JDK 17. I think what we should be aiming at os being able to run NetBeans on JDK 17.