netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Kenneth Fogel <kfo...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>
Subject OpenJDK Quality Outreach Membership
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2021 19:52:44 GMT
Hi,

As I have already written, today I was introduced to the OpenJDK Quality Outreach program.
You can read about it at Quality Outreach - Quality Outreach - OpenJDK Wiki (java.net)<https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach>.
In discussing this with Geertjan we felt that we should join the approximately 160 FOSS projects
that participate. I will be happy to be the point of contact of this so that I can finally
justify why the Duke award we were given a few years ago that lives in my office here at home
(the pandemic has prevented me from passing it along at a conference).

Joining this group will mean, as you can see from their web page, that we will carry out tests
to determine if a JDK change may affect NetBeans. We need to  discuss, if we choose to get
involved, how this could come about. Please look over the information. I will bring any questions
you have to Rory and the Quality group.

Let's discuss whether we should become involved. I am guessing  that we might have caught
the Security Manager issue sooner and then discovered the issue with how it was deprecated.
This is not about directly influencing the OpenJDK but rather an opportunity to test proposed
changes to the JDK as soon as is possible.

Tell us what you think. Should we join?

[cid:image001.jpg@01D75C7A.439D8080]
Ken Fogel
Java Champion / JCP EC Member