netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Kenneth Fogel <kfo...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>
Subject RE: OpenJDK Quality Outreach
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:04:03 GMT
Hi,

Unless there are any objections, I will take over from Geertjan as the point person for the
OpenJDK Quality Outreach. I will get more details from Rory to better understand what Outreach
expects. I will then reach out to Jaroslav or whomever might be more appropriate to learn
how to collect the data required.

Jaroslav, you are right, it is more effective to not just report a bug in a component of the
JDK but to also propose the fix as you did in your issue. You are reminding me to update the
wiki. I assume that you are referring to the OpenJDK Wiki or is there a NetBeans Wiki that
I have not been able to find.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tulach@gmail.com>
Sent: June 9, 2021 3:53 AM
To: dev@netbeans.apache.org
Subject: Re: OpenJDK Quality Outreach

I'd like to point out that Geertjan is listed on the wiki page https:// wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach

> Apache Netbeans	Geertjan Wielenga
>  Use OpenJDK 12 EA b26 Phase 2 or higher and OpenJDK 11.0.2

as an Apache NetBeans contact providing feedback since JDK11!

Given Geertjan isn't even aware of being part of the OpenJDK Quality Outreach program, we
can estimate the importance of the program. However having  Ken as an official NetBeans representative
is certainly better, than not being there at all.

Ken:
>  I suspect we might have caught the JEP 411 issue much sooner  if we
> participated in this.

No we wouldn't caught it sooner. NetBeans blogging and social media campaign started the same
week as JEP 411 was published. Participation in any public forum couldn't speed the reaction
up.

Eirik:
> Here are a couple of Windows LAF bugs that could be mentioned as
> impacting NetBeans (as well as most other Swing applications):

> I added workarounds for these ..., but there are still cases where a
> proper fix at the OpenJDK level would look better.

Well, create a PR for OpenJDK then!

Overall I doubt participation in OpenJDK Quality Outreach forum can dramatically improve anything.
Direct action is what counts: be it buzz over
JEP-411 or submitting PRs for OpenJDK to make NetBeans work better (like https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3939).
Anyway having a channel to talk to OpenJDK is better for Apache NetBeans, than not having
it.

Good luck, Ken! Don't forget to update the wiki.
-jt