netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: SQL Autocompletion - Quoter Refactoring breaks quoter check
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2021 16:32:46 GMT
Just judging from the long mails you’ve been sending on this topic, there
are probably very few if any who are keeping track of this or understand
what it’s about.

My gut feeling is: if it is this complex and convoluted to introduce
something as narrow and specific as code completion for SQL, there must be
something fundamentally wrong somewhere.

Maybe a way forward is to create one Wiki document where you describe step
by step from scratch what it is you’re trying to do and the exact pieces of
code you propose to introduce into the codebase for this, i.e., really
clearly and coherently, where you’re able to explain everything that needs
to be added for this feature, the broader picture of this can be clarified
for more people so we can all know what is going on here.

Your effort and hard work is appreciated, however, I predict another long
convoluted mail again in response to this request, instead of simply: what
is this really about, why is it so overcomplicated, can you put it into a
Wiki where you explain everything, concisely, please?

Gj

On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 at 18:11, Eric Bresie <ebresie@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> handle standardized quoting of identifiers similar to what is discussed (
> https://www.w3resource.com/sql/sql-syntax.php#IDENTIF
> <https://www.w3resource.com/sql/sql-syntax.php#IDENTIF> ).  *
> *For this I (or whoever takes this on) would need to better understand what
> the expected input/outputs are for this and what kind of tests would be
> needed to confirm this does as expected beyond the existing sql tests. *
>
> (7) There may also be another SQL improvements ticket to raise as mentioned
> in this comment in the discussion
>
> *Looking at one of the w3 resources SQL syntax page in identifier section
> <https://www.w3resource.com/sql/sql-syntax.php#IDENTIF> it does look more
> complicated.*
>
> *The w3 reference mentions after "SELECT" there can be optionally "DISTINCT
> | ALL" and either a wildcard ("*") or select List (i.e. identifiers).
> Unless I've missed it, I'm not sure these cases are handled. Is a new issue
> for adding that worth wild?*
>

> Does this seem acceptable?  If not, what (besides maybe raising above
> tickets) is still needed?
>
> Eric Bresie
> ebresie@gmail.com
>

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 4:46 PM Eric Bresie <ebresie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone respond to this?
> >
> > As is, the PR from my perspective fixes the problem.
> >
> > The last change requested in the PR was made multiple times in multiple
> > ways with the request was against an “out of date” version of files so
> not
> >  sure if the PR discussion is ready or able to be closed down.
> >
> > I believe re-architecting sql autocomplete functionality for connection
> vs
> > connection less session to address quoting and/or sql standard quotes
> issue
> > is probably  out of scope of this ticket.  If that is really preferred
> then
> > maybe a new ticket to address that with more specific would be better for
> > that.
> >
> > What do I need to do to get this accepted for inclusion?
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 11:00 AM Eric Bresie <ebresie@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Okay...I've concluded my connectionless refactoring is breaking more
> unit
> >> tests than preferred and is not a good viable option.
> >>
> >> I've reverted back to the state as of the last commit for the PR and
> >> would like some guidance from someone more well versed than I on how to
> >> handle this.
> >>
> >> Assume can either
> >> (1) take it as is in the PR and maybe write a new ticket on the refactor
> >> aspect (Refactor SQL quoter to handle connection or connection less
> cases)
> >> or
> >> (2) if someone more well verses in the sql code can provide suggestions
> >> for a new approach I would be welcome to.
> >>
> >> Some help/suggestion/mentoring is appreciated.

 Assume