netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenJDK Quality Outreach
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2021 07:52:43 GMT
> Yes, we should, how?

I'd like to point out that Geertjan is listed on the wiki page https://
wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach

> Apache Netbeans	Geertjan Wielenga
>  Use OpenJDK 12 EA b26 Phase 2 or higher and OpenJDK 11.0.2

as an Apache NetBeans contact providing feedback since JDK11!

Given Geertjan isn't even aware of being part of the OpenJDK Quality Outreach
program, we can estimate the importance of the program. However having  Ken as
an official NetBeans representative is certainly better, than not being there at
all.

Ken:
>  I suspect we might have caught the JEP 411 issue much sooner
>  if we participated in this.

No we wouldn't caught it sooner. NetBeans blogging and social media campaign
started the same week as JEP 411 was published. Participation in any public
forum couldn't speed the reaction up.

Eirik:
> Here are a couple of Windows LAF bugs that could be mentioned as impacting
> NetBeans (as well as most other Swing applications):

> I added workarounds for these ..., but there are still cases where a proper
> fix at the OpenJDK level would look better.

Well, create a PR for OpenJDK then!

Overall I doubt participation in OpenJDK Quality Outreach forum can
dramatically improve anything. Direct action is what counts: be it buzz over
JEP-411 or submitting PRs for OpenJDK to make NetBeans work better (like
https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/3939). Anyway having a channel to talk to
OpenJDK is better for Apache NetBeans, than not having it.

Good luck, Ken! Don't forget to update the wiki.
-jt