Hi Anthony, this does NOT look like a Ubuntu problem, and in fact there is OSS Greenplum officially on Ubuntu you can see here:
http://greenplum.org/install-greenplum-oss-on-ubuntu/

Greenplum and PostgreSQL do limit to 1 Gig for each field (row/col combination) but there are techniques to manage data sets working within these constraints.  I will let someone else who has more experience then me working with matrices answer how is the best way to do so in a case like you have provided.

Cheers,
Ivan