madlib-user mailing list archives

From Frank McQuillan <fmcquil...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [INTRODUCTIONS] I'm Greg, and I'm part of the Apache MADlib community
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2016 19:56:22 GMT
Hi,

My name is Frank McQuillan and I am in product management at Pivotal.  For
the last couple of years I have been working on Apache MADlib (actually
before it was an ASF project).  Earlier on at Pivotal, I worked on
real-time streaming and architectures for BI/analytics use cases.  In my
prior life, I have worked in aviation, robots and drones, with a dose of
advertising technology thrown in for good measure at Yahoo.

With the rapid growth of machine learning in the enterprise especially over
the last couple of years, it is great to see SQL-based in-database methods
gaining more traction.  After all, most enterprises have a wealth of data
sitting in relational form, so if we can bring machine learning to that
data and operating on it in place, there is a lot of value to be gained.
Moving and transforming data can be expensive.

Look forward to meeting you in this forum, and also at your favorite
database and Hadoop type conferences.

Frank McQuillan