madlib-dev mailing list archives

From Frank McQuillan <fmcquil...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: How to contribute to MADlib
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 18:11:00 GMT
Thank you Xiaofeng for your interest.

We are working on a wiki page with suggestions for new modules, and bugs to
fix, in part to introduce new developers to the project.  It should be up
next week sometime.

In fact, the whole wiki is being updated on Apache Madlib
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/Apache+MADlib+Home
but it is still under construction at this point.

Regarding getting started guides, we have written 3 brand new ones below:

Installation Guide for MADlib
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/Installation+Guide+for+MADlib

Quick Start Guide for Users
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/Quick+Start+Guide+for+Users

Quick Start Guide for Developers
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MADLIB/Quick+Start+Guide+for+Developers

Also, we have an introductory MADlib community call on Fri, November 20,
10am – 11am Pacific Time.  This will be a monthly call.  We will send a
separate email to the dev and user mailing lists, but here is the info for
the first meeting:

Topics
* Short introduction to MADlib and journey to Apache
* Proposed themes for next release
* Key JIRAs
* Open discussion

International direct: +1 857 207.4204
US Toll free: 1 888 643.3084
Participant passcode: 18392607 then #

We look forward to your participation.

Regards,
Frank

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Xiaofeng Zhou <xiaofeng@cise.ufl.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
>
> Thank you very much for your quick response.
>
> We are still thinking about ideas of new modules to add to MADlib, and we
> are also glad to implement new functionalities proposed by MADlib users and
> developers.
>
> It would be great if we have a wiki page that keeps track of new modules
> to add and module development status.
>
> Thanks
> Xiaofeng
>

> On 12.11.2015 22:15, Ivan Novick wrote:
>
>> Hello Xiaofeng,
>>
>> We all welcome you warmly to the project.
>>
>> Even i am not familiar with Apache process, but anyone can be a
>> contributor, the main thing you need to do is to start working on the code
>> and start to send in your patches.
>>
>> Do you have some idea of what contribution you like to work on, I think
>> sending a proposal to the list for your project or idea before starting
>> major work is a good idea in order to get feedback and we can discuss more
>> on the list and give you some suggestions or confirmation you are on the
>> right track.
>>
>> If you don't have specific ideas on what to work on, we can also help with
>> that and suggest some great ideas of things to work on.
>>
>> Maybe we should create a TODO list on the wiki page if we don't have one
>> already.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ivan
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 7:10 PM, Xiaofeng Zhou <xiaofeng@cise.ufl.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi MADlib Developers,
>>>
>>> I am a student from DSR Lab at University of Florida, and DSR@UF was one
>>> of the original 4 contributors to MADLib for text analysis.
>>>
>>> We are very excited  that MADLib is moving to Apache and would like to
>>> continue to contribute to MADLib if possible (we plan to have couple of
>>> students working on this).
>>>
>>> Now I not quite sure how to contribute to MADlib, I have checked the
>>> developer guide and contribution guide on github wiki page, but it does
>>> not
>>> not really contains the specific instructions or the links are outdated(I
>>> know it's under construction, but would like to join as soon as
>>> possible).
>>>
>>> So could anyone suggest a few pointers & links that I can follow to get
>>> know:
>>> 1. how to become a contributor to the MADlib incubating project?