lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jeremy Smith <>
Subject SolrCloud Replication Failure
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2018 17:47:04 GMT
Hi all,

     We are currently running a moderately large instance of standalone solr and are preparing
to switch to solr cloud to help us scale up.  I have been running a number of tests using
docker locally and ran into an issue where replication is consistently failing.  I have pared
down the test case as minimally as I could.  Here's a link for the docker-compose.yml (I put
it in a directory called solrcloud_simple) and a script to run the test:

Here's the basic idea behind the test:

1) Create a cluster with 2 nodes (solr-1 and solr-2), 1 shard, and 2 replicas (each node gets
a replica).  Just use the default schema, although I've also tried our schema and got the
same result.

2) Shut down solr-2

3) Add 100 simple docs, just id and a field called num.

4) Start solr-2 and check that it received the documents.  It did!

5) Update a document, commit, and check that solr-2 received the update.  It did!

6) Stop solr-2, update the same document, start solr-2, and make sure that it received the
update.  It did!

7) Repeat step 6 with a new value.  This time solr-2 reverts back to what it had in step 5.

I believe the main issue comes from this in the logs:

solr-2_1  | 2018-10-31 17:04:26.135 INFO  (recoveryExecutor-4-thread-1-processing-n:solr-2:8082_solr
x:test_shard1_replica_n2 c:test s:shard1 r:core_node4) [c:test s:shard1 r:core_node4 x:test_shard1_replica_n2]
o.a.s.u.PeerSync PeerSync: core=test_shard1_replica_n2 url=http://solr-2:8082/solr  Our versions
are newer. ourHighThreshold=1615861330901729280 otherLowThreshold=1615861314086764545 ourHighest=1615861330901729280

PeerSync thinks the versions on solr-2 are newer for some reason, so it doesn't try to sync
from solr-1.  In the final state, solr-2 will always have a lower version for the updated
doc than solr-1.  I've tried this with different commit strategies, both auto and manual,
and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Is this a bug with solr, an issue with using docker, or am I just expecting too much from

Thanks for any insights you may have,


  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message