logging-log4php-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:12:19 GMT
OK. I guess I am fine with the bounce messages. Any other opinions?

Ralph

> On Mar 18, 2017, at 8:42 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I got this response from Gavin:
>
> Hi [~jvz] Sorry but I think I'm going to push back on that last request.
>
> Merging the lists - no problem
> Merging all the subscribers - no problem
> Creating bounce messages directing people to use the merged target list - no problem
>
> People will know in advance this merger is going to take place, and if they forget I
think it'll take only one or two bounce messages to get the hint.

> If you are :-
>
> a) Happy with that - pick a date this can be done , let all lists users know this is
happening and the date then let me know.
> b) Not Happy with that - ping this ticket again and we'll escalate further.
>
> Thanks
>
> On 16 March 2017 at 22:23, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Oh, I didn't realise I had a response on how to handle that. Let me follow up with infra.
>
> On 16 March 2017 at 21:46, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
> Is there any follow-up to this?
>
> Ralph
>
>> On Mar 12, 2017, at 9:30 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:

>> 1. That seems fine to me.
>> 2. Is it possible to do both? I like the idea of annoying the sender but still allowing
the email to be sent. It would cool if it could even add [list] to the start of the subject
line.
>> 3. This is the main thing that needs to happen.
>>
>> Ralph
>>

>>> On Mar 12, 2017, at 7:49 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> Some things:
>>>
>>> 1. Archives won't be merged.
>>> 2. Infra suggests it might be a better idea to have the old email addresses respond
with a canned reply saying that the lists have moved over to dev@, though they can set it
up all as aliases if we prefer.
>>> 3. Current subscribers from all dev lists would be automatically subscribed to
the combined list.

>>> So, use aliases or have the old addresses bounce back and inform senders to use
the new list?

>>> On 12 March 2017 at 18:31, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> Created a request, not sure if it's public: https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-13651
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-13651>

>>> On 12 March 2017 at 17:11, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>>> Yes,
>>>
>>> If you could send the request to infra I would appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Ralph

it sounds like we'd like to merge the dev lists but keep the user lists as is. Shall we move
forward with combining them now?

the other lists.  This is a horrible way to have discussions that affect all the sub projects.

mentioned that as an idea for log4cxx as that would make it useful for his use case where
they're using both Java and C++ in various projects.

aren't really compatible with each other, having similar architectures and plugin systems
could help a bit in this regard. Having more inclusive conversations about this would be great.

<mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>> wrote:
> [...]
we support, and therefore only are interested in one of the subprojects.

to become very similar in their usage, starting with the same or a very similar configuration.
Given that we should aim towards one Apache Logging specification and several Apache Logging
specification implementations in the form of Apache Logging subprojects. That means all the
devs for all subprojects have to talk more. To me this is a good reasons to merge the dev
mailing lists. Further I don't see why the same use case should not apply to the user mailing
lists, too. Those mailing lists see very low traffic but all of them need a larger audience.
Just quoting the last few messages of two user mailing lists I follow:

be of general interest to all logging projects. Generally, these are just release announcements.

cause any issues currently. The main idea here is whether we should merge the dev lists into
one, or if we need a common dev list for all devs to subscribe to (general@ doesn't sound
appropriate, but I don't know what that list is for).

are “binding”. I don’t think that changes much however.

lists separate isn’t likely to be an issue as most of the things that would need to be discussed
would be on a dev list anyway.

lists so that I didn't even find my own vote. ;-) Therefore I'm trying to summarize the current
state of the vote:

dev@logging.apache.org <mailto:dev@logging.apache.org>

general@ -> user@logging.apache.org <mailto:user@logging.apache.org>

subscribed to half of them less than five minutes ago.

mailing lists. The proposal is to combine them as follows:

-> dev@logging.apache.org <mailto:dev@logging.apache.org>
general@ -> user@logging.apache.org <mailto:user@logging.apache.org>

aliases for the combined email names so as not to lose any future emails. To distinguish between
projects, a subject tag can be added such as:

it should help in gaining the attention of the appropriate audience.

3 +1 binding, no -1/vetoes) we use for general releases and whatnot. The vote will be open
for at least 72 hours.

If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,