logging-log4php-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2017 01:21:41 GMT
Matt,

Any update on this?

Ralph

> On Mar 21, 2017, at 10:27 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Matt!
>
> Ralph
>
>> On Mar 21, 2017, at 10:15 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> No other opinions apparently. I suppose we'll go with the single list with bounce
messages. I'll follow up with infra later today.

>> On 18 March 2017 at 13:12, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>> OK. I guess I am fine with the bounce messages. Any other opinions?
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Mar 18, 2017, at 8:42 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> I got this response from Gavin:
>>>
>>> Hi [~jvz] Sorry but I think I'm going to push back on that last request.
>>>
>>> Merging the lists - no problem
>>> Merging all the subscribers - no problem
>>> Creating bounce messages directing people to use the merged target list - no
problem

>>> People will know in advance this merger is going to take place, and if they forget
I think it'll take only one or two bounce messages to get the hint.

>>> If you are :-
>>>
>>> a) Happy with that - pick a date this can be done , let all lists users know
this is happening and the date then let me know.
>>> b) Not Happy with that - ping this ticket again and we'll escalate further.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> On 16 March 2017 at 22:23, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> Oh, I didn't realise I had a response on how to handle that. Let me follow up
with infra.

>>> On 16 March 2017 at 21:46, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>>> Is there any follow-up to this?
>>>
>>> Ralph

still allowing the email to be sent. It would cool if it could even add [list] to the start
of the subject line.

respond with a canned reply saying that the lists have moved over to dev@, though they can
set it up all as aliases if we prefer.

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/INFRA-13651>

it sounds like we'd like to merge the dev lists but keep the user lists as is. Shall we move
forward with combining them now?

<mailto:dpsenner@gmail.com>> wrote:
> [...]
dropped the other lists.  This is a horrible way to have discussions that affect all the sub
projects.

Gary mentioned that as an idea for log4cxx as that would make it useful for his use case where
they're using both Java and C++ in various projects.

and C++) aren't really compatible with each other, having similar architectures and plugin
systems could help a bit in this regard. Having more inclusive conversations about this would
be great.

<mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>> wrote:
> [...]
languages we support, and therefore only are interested in one of the subprojects.

projects to become very similar in their usage, starting with the same or a very similar configuration.
Given that we should aim towards one Apache Logging specification and several Apache Logging
specification implementations in the form of Apache Logging subprojects. That means all the
devs for all subprojects have to talk more. To me this is a good reasons to merge the dev
mailing lists. Further I don't see why the same use case should not apply to the user mailing
lists, too. Those mailing lists see very low traffic but all of them need a larger audience.
Just quoting the last few messages of two user mailing lists I follow:

that might be of general interest to all logging projects. Generally, these are just release
announcements.

as it doesn't cause any issues currently. The main idea here is whether we should merge the
dev lists into one, or if we need a common dev list for all devs to subscribe to (general@
doesn't sound appropriate, but I don't know what that list is for).

PMC votes are “binding”. I don’t think that changes much however.

user’s lists separate isn’t likely to be an issue as most of the things that would need
to be discussed would be on a dev list anyway.

mailing lists so that I didn't even find my own vote. ;-) Therefore I'm trying to summarize
the current state of the vote:

-> dev@logging.apache.org <mailto:dev@logging.apache.org>

general@ -> user@logging.apache.org <mailto:user@logging.apache.org>

I just subscribed to half of them less than five minutes ago.

Services mailing lists. The proposal is to combine them as follows:

-> dev@logging.apache.org <mailto:dev@logging.apache.org>
general@ -> user@logging.apache.org <mailto:user@logging.apache.org>

emails become aliases for the combined email names so as not to lose any future emails. To
distinguish between projects, a subject tag can be added such as:

though it should help in gaining the attention of the appropriate audience.

least 3 +1 binding, no -1/vetoes) we use for general releases and whatnot. The vote will be
open for at least 72 hours.

this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,