logging-log4php-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 17:26:16 GMT
This is exactly why we need one dev list. These last two responses dropped the other lists.
 This is a horrible way to have discussions that affect all the sub projects.

Ralph

> On Mar 10, 2017, at 9:11 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd love to see more unified configurations in all the subprojects. Gary mentioned that
as an idea for log4cxx as that would make it useful for his use case where they're using both
Java and C++ in various projects.

> While the programming languages in use here (Java, .NET, PHP, and C++) aren't really
compatible with each other, having similar architectures and plugin systems could help a bit
in this regard. Having more inclusive conversations about this would be great.

> On 10 March 2017 at 04:29, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> I think that a vast majority of our users only uses one of the languages we support,
and therefore only are interested in one of the subprojects.

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Dominik Psenner <dpsenner@gmail.com <mailto:dpsenner@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> We had once the discussion that we wanted all Apache Logging projects to become very
similar in their usage, starting with the same or a very similar configuration. Given that
we should aim towards one Apache Logging specification and several Apache Logging specification
implementations in the form of Apache Logging subprojects. That means all the devs for all
subprojects have to talk more. To me this is a good reasons to merge the dev mailing lists.
Further I don't see why the same use case should not apply to the user mailing lists, too.
Those mailing lists see very low traffic but all of them need a larger audience. Just quoting
the last few messages of two user mailing lists I follow:

> log4j-user: the last topic came in a week ago, the topic before that about two weeks
ago
> log4net-user: the last topic came in 24 hours ago and the topic before that a month ago
>
> Cheers
>
> On 2017-03-09 19:24, Ralph Goers wrote:
>> We use general as mainly an announcement list for topics that might be of general
interest to all logging projects. Generally, these are just release announcements.

>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Mar 9, 2017, at 10:37 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> Yeah, I agree that the user lists can remain separate as it doesn't cause any
issues currently. The main idea here is whether we should merge the dev lists into one, or
if we need a common dev list for all devs to subscribe to (general@ doesn't sound appropriate,
but I don't know what that list is for).

>>> On 9 March 2017 at 10:26, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>>> You should note that while we consider all votes only PMC votes are “binding”.
I don’t think that changes much however.

>>> From a PMC perspective I have to say that keeping the user’s lists separate
isn’t likely to be an issue as most of the things that would need to be discussed would
be on a dev list anyway.

>>> Ralph

I didn't even find my own vote. ;-) Therefore I'm trying to summarize the current state of
the vote:

<mailto:dev@logging.apache.org>

user@logging.apache.org <mailto:user@logging.apache.org>

half of them less than five minutes ago.

The proposal is to combine them as follows:

<mailto:dev@logging.apache.org>
user@logging.apache.org <mailto:user@logging.apache.org>

the combined email names so as not to lose any future emails. To distinguish between projects,
a subject tag can be added such as:

in gaining the attention of the appropriate audience.

-1/vetoes) we use for general releases and whatnot. The vote will be open for at least 72
hours.

>>> --
>>> Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
>>

> --
>

> Mikael Ståldal
> Senior software developer
>
> Magine TV
> mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>
> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com  <http://www.magine.com/>
>
> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are
not the addressee indicated in this message
> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case,