labs-labs mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to evangelize Apache Lab across ASF communities
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 04:18:44 GMT
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Bernd Fondermann wrote:

> >> Although, to be honest, no-community proposals have been turned down in the
> >> past.
> >
> > Apache PhotArk (incubating) started with one person.
>
> Yes, I wasn't claiming that /all/ such proposals were turned down, but
> /some/ definitively were.
> PhotArk is a special case because AFAIR it was started by an ASF
> member and other ASF committers immediately joined.

It was commenced by Angela Cymbalak (not a committer at the time).
She came along with an idea and some beginnings of code, but no
community at all. Then a group of interested people started to gather
and work out the way to proceed. They started on the general@ list,
then moved to the little-used projects@ list to form the initial
community and develop their proposal. Then an official Proposal, etcetera
In the early stages it was called Caitrin and PicaGalley.

-David