kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Lu <lu.ke...@berkeley.edu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-351: Add --critical-partitions option to describe topics command
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2018 16:28:29 GMT
Hi Mickael,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Correct me if I am mistaken, but if a producer attempts to send to a
partition that is under min ISR (and ack=all or -1) then the send will fail
with a NotEnoughReplicas or NotEnoughReplicasAfterAppend exception? At this
point, client-side has already suffered failure but the server-side is
still fine for now?

If the above is true, then this would be a FATAL case for producers.

Would it be valuable to include the CRITICAL case where a topic partition
has exactly min ISR so that Kafka operators can take action so it does not
become FATAL? This could be in the same option or a new one.

Thanks!

Regards,
Kevin