kafka-dev mailing list archives

From "Javed, Haseeb" <javed...@buckeyemail.osu.edu>
Subject Handler Threads in SocketServer
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2017 21:10:06 GMT
Hello,

I have recently started looking into the Kafka Server code to get a deeper understanding of
the internals and I have a few questions about the SocketServer implementation. The documentation
for the SocketServer mentions:

/**
 * The threading model is
 *   1 Acceptor thread that handles new connections
 *   Acceptor has N Processor threads that each have their own selector and read requests
from sockets
 *   M Handler threads that handle requests and produce responses back to the processor threads
for writing.
 */

The Acceptor and Processor threads are implemented in the SocketServer and I have a decent
idea of how they operate. However, where exactly is the Handler thread defined? Is it the
KafkaRequestHandler class in the package kafka.server? If that is the case then what is the
purpose of the Handler singeton object defined in the kafka.network package?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Haseeb