kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Ismael Juma <ism...@juma.me.uk>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-63: Unify store and downstream caching in streams
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:07:36 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Guozhang Wang <wangguoz@gmail.com> wrote:

> About using Instrumentation.getObjectSize, yeah we were worried a lot about
> its efficiency as well as accuracy when discussing internally, but not a
> better solution was proposed. So if people have better ideas, please throw
> them here, as it is also the purpose for us to call out such KIP discussion
> threads.

Note that this requires a Java agent to be configured. A few links:

https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/b0ce0d13127431fa7cd4c11064762eb0b12e3436/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/util/SizeEstimator.scala
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/3dcbe90e02440e6ee534f643c7603d50ca08482b/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/utils/ObjectSizes.java
https://github.com/jbellis/jamm
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/code-tools/jol/
https://github.com/DimitrisAndreou/memory-measurer

OK, maybe that's more than what you wanted. :)

Ismael