kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Evan Chan ...@ooyala.com>
Subject Re: Consumer re-design proposal
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:39:16 GMT
I would like to throw in a couple use cases:

   - Allow the new consumer to reset its offset to either the current
   largest or smallest.  This would be a great way to restart a process that
   has fallen behind.  The only way I know how to do this today, with the
   high-level consumer, is to delete the ZK nodes manually and restart the
   consumer.
   - Allow the consumer to reset its offset to some arbitrary value, and
   then write that offset into ZK.    Kind of like the first case, but would
   make rewinding/replays much easier.

Modularity (the ability to layer the ZK infrastructure on top of the simple
interface) would be great.

thanks,
Evan

*Evan Chan*