kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Jay Kreps <jay.kr...@gmail.com>
Subject committer and pmc requirements
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 04:14:02 GMT
Hey All,

One thing suggested to us by our Apache mentors was to formalize the
criteria for becoming a committer and pmc member. Different projects have
different criteria in this regard. What are people's thoughts in this
regard?

FWIW, here are my thoughts. I would suggest we hold a high bar on technical
capability but a fairly low bar on level of contribution. I think 3+
substantive patches plus an interest in ongoing involvement should be
enough. I think this is more appropriate to a young project such as
ourselves. Since we do blocking code reviews for both committers and
non-committers this doesn't put us at too much risk of weak code creeping
in. I don't have any thoughts on what would be a good standard for PMC
membership. It might also be a good idea to make people "committers
emeritus" after 6-12 months of inactivity. I have found on past projects
that committers tend to accumulate to the point where a substantial portion
of people are not active which is probably not the right thing for Apache
since things are decided by voting.

What do others think? Any past experiences of this "done right"?

-Jay